But one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead… Philippians 3:13
In chapter 13 of the Book of Numbers, twelve spies were sent to spy-out the ‘Promised Land’ and ordered to bring back a report. As quick as you can (and of course without looking in your Bibles), name the ten men who brought back a negative report.
Nobody can (the names are all listed by the way), but we all remember Joshua and Caleb’s name. The fact that we know them and not the others is in itself a testimony and witness to what Paul is declaring here in his letter to the Philippians: focus on the positive that lies ahead and forget the negative that lies behind.
Even Jesus reminds us in Luke 9:62:
“No one, having put his hand to the plow, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.”
Jesus isn’t saying those of us who dwell in the past or focus on the negative will not enter the kingdom of God, but is saying that we’re not fit. In other words, we are not in the best spiritual condition that we could be if we were looking and moving. Weakness is the byproduct of looking backward, while spiritual muscle is achieved by moving forward in Christ.
Where is Your Focus?
I submit to you that your focus can be determined by your response to the world poverty crisis. Is your report similar to those of the ten spies (who considered the task to enormous to undertake), or is your report more like that of Caleb and Joshua,
“Let us go…we are able to overcome!”
Related (or perhaps unrelated) articles
- Glass half empty or half full? (eliastamez.wordpress.com)
- A Winning Attitude (acer004ever.wordpress.com)
- Hip Hop Culture 101 – FIVE Elements? by ReAsOn DiSciPLe (davidicalhiphop.wordpress.com)
- Faith Child – Unsung Hero (ptl2010.com)
- The Power of Joy In The Prison Of Pain in Philippians (Intro) (stevemidkiff.wordpress.com)
- The Promised Land (momsfirstscreenn.wordpress.com)
- Pensée pour ce matin : (jacquesguillard.wordpress.com)
- …try, try again. 1 of 3 (gbumcjenw.wordpress.com)
- Be Smart Like A Virgin (dianasymons.com)
- Let us Gather here at the CUP KKIM/DDC (deweymoede.wordpress.com)