Do you believe that? Paul did, and he lived his entire Christian life as if Jesus would be coming to get him at any moment. As a result his attitude of faith served to make him spiritually healthier.
“Paul was wrong, Jesus never returned for him,” you might say.
Paul would tell you that his actions were right, despite the fact his timing was off. Consider 1 John 3:2-3
Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure.
In case you missed it, whoever has this hope (like Paul had) becomes purer and thus more like Jesus. I think it was Billy Graham who said (when asked), “What if God is not real”,
Then I will have lived a better life.
Paul is on a whole other level and would have likely responded, “Not only is Jesus Christ the real-deal, in my waiting for His return I am being made better!”
But if that evil servant says in his heart, ’My master is delaying his coming, ’ and begins to beat his fellow servants, and to eat and drink with the drunkards, the master of that servant will come on a day when he is not looking for him and at an hour that he is not aware of, and will cut him in two and appoint him his portion with the hypocrites. There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
Fear of Being Wrong
That has always been my biggest roadblock, “What if I am wrong; won’t I look foolish?” God might say that we have no business fearing man when we should be fearing Him.
These articles may or may not be related:
- Are you a real Christian? You can know for sure! (raymondjclements.wordpress.com)
- The Foundation of Servant Leadership (garyrunn.com)
- An Interview With A New Testament Scholar (jamaljivanjee.com)
- Colossians (tylersheart.wordpress.com)
- The Joy and Treasure of the Lord! (psalmsofpraisewomensministries.wordpress.com)
- Be Ready! Jesus Is Coming Soon! (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Galatians (tylersheart.wordpress.com)
- Why Read the Bible? – Day 2 of 32 – God and Engaging the Bible: Part 2 (christlikeministriesnwa.wordpress.com)
- A lectionary sermon for Year b 10 June 2012 on Mark 3 : 20 – 35 (billpeddie.wordpress.com)
- Water Baptism in the Name of Jesus (Not!) (getrealchristianity.wordpress.com)