Jon Courson tells the story of when he was on his college track-team as a discus thrower and how he studied the tape of a then-famous Olympic hurler. Hour after hour he watched the same clip of this Olympian just so he might improve his own technique. Courson continued he was never really able to incorporate the same style, despite these many hours, but then offered an interesting contrast.
What if the Olympian were able to come off the movie screen and enter into his body; everything this athlete possessed becoming a part of him, fused into his heart, soul, and body? He uses this remarkable illustration to demonstrate the ‘mystery’ Paul speaks of in our text today, for this is what Jesus has (in many ways) accomplished, having quite literally come to life, leaping off the pages of the Bible, and entering into each believer.
The Reality is: Christ in Us
The Bible then becomes not so much a story about our Lord and Savior (which it surely is), but a contact-point teaching each follower of Jesus Christ how to synchronize our earthen vessels with His Spirit, discerning His will. When we fail to seek God’s will, or fail to be obedient to His will, we end up looking much like the Steve Martin character in the movie, “All of Me,” when the Lily Tomlin character enters his body. But, when we come to understand the certainty of a living Christ living in us, then we may boldly proclaim as Paul proclaimed…
Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus. To this end (we) also labor, striving according to His working which works, in (us) mightily. Colossians 1:28-29
With Christ in us all things, according to His perfect will and His righteous mandates, are possible. Suddenly our complaints and our excuses are of no consequence. If a living Christ has brought us to it, He will most certainly bring us through it.
Related (or quite possibly unrelated) articles
- A Proper Love (compassiondave.wordpress.com)
- The Bride of Jesus Christ: A Wife For Jesus Christ the Son of God & Bridegroom to Come (mrsjesuschristdotcom.wordpress.com)
- How powerful our words are. (jewelindapalace.wordpress.com)
- Who is Jesus Christ and Why Should I Care? (prweb.com)
- Jesus Christ is the revelation of the value of every man (themysteryofchrist.wordpress.com)
- Ex-Spice Girl to take on Webber’s ‘Jesus Christ Superstar’ (ctv.ca)
- Guillain Barre Syndrome was the thorn that brought me to Jesus (prhayz.com)
- Ephesians 1-3 (mybiblereadingplan.wordpress.com)
- Jesus Christ. There’s a Groupon sitcom coming to CBS. (shortformblog.com)
- Annotations of Gospel Centrality: Colossians 3:16-17 (timmybrister.com)