Why would I say such a thing? How could I say such a thing? The first thing we need to consider is what an antichrist does. In 2 Thessalonians we discover that the Antichrist ‘opposes and exalts himself’ above God (and this is the only portion I want to address today). The word oppose in this case means to put yourself in place of — the Antichrist will come on the scene and say that he is Christ and that the Jesus we follow is not.
It will also be helpful to know that Judas Iscariot was an antichrist (little ‘a’) primarily because satan had entered his spirit (Luke 22:3) and that Christians are not antichrists (theoretically) because Christ is in them (Colossians 1:27). Are you still with me?
So how am I an antichrist?
(We) take-on the characteristics of an antichrist when we say, “I don’t agree with what the Bible says about (pick a topic), ” or, “I know God wants me to do such-and-such, but I can’t because (pick an excuse).”
Well I hope you aren’t, but you might be if you tend to disagree with what the Bible (God) says or if you are disobedient to His will. In that respect, while we aren’t really antichrists in the 1 John 2:18 sense of the word, we certainly take-on the characteristics of an antichrist when we say, “I don’t agree with what the Bible says about (pick a topic), ” or, “I know God wants me to do such-and-such, but I can’t because (pick an excuse).”
When we do these types of things, essentially we are opposing God; putting ourselves in His position believing our way is better than His. The danger in doing this occasionally is twofold: it will likely become habit and we are teaching others (falsely) that this behavior is an acceptable Christian practice. In reality the behavior is creating other antichrists.
It’s only a big deal if you recognize the behavior and fail to change it. If this is a trait you can identify with, then praise God, for it is He who has revealed this to you (and likely as a response to your prayers that He would reveal your true heart). All that is left is to change your mind and allow Him to change your heart. It’s what submission looks like.
Related (or perhaps unrelated) articles
- Spirituality – Re: Armageddon and Antichrist 666 are they real ? (disclose.tv)
- Jesus is coming (jennifermartin3.typepad.com)
- Antichrist…what does that mean exactly? (brakelite.wordpress.com)
- Antichrist (jmountswritteninblood.com)
- End of the World Myths: 15th Century Block Books (glitternight.com)
- Antichrist At Throne (thescarletrope.wordpress.com)
- Hal Lindsey on Antichrist (propheticseasons.wordpress.com)
- Revelation 13:17-18 – Naming the Beast (Part 2) (readingacts.wordpress.com)
- Spirit of the Antichrist 1 John 2:18-29 (thechristiangazette.wordpress.com)
- The Rapture (apaulmarq.wordpress.com)