Does your church have a men’s softball league? Ours does and I am the catcher. If you know anything about men’s church softball, then you know that behind the plate is where they stick the old, fat, and outta shape guys who still feel compelled to show up for the games. However, let it be known that I chose to be behind the plate. Do you know why?
That’s right, I didn’t want the coach telling me (and the world), “Dave, you’re old, and fat, and outta shape, so get back there.” Instead I chose a self-imposed exile.
Anyway, we had a game on Monday evening and I broke my foot. Well, I didn’t break my foot, but I thought I broke my foot. I later discovered (at the emergency room) that I am suffering from a bone spur on my heel and a thing called plantar fasciitis, which is Latin for, “It feels like you broke your foot, but you’re just old, fat, and outta shape.”
Why Me God?
Yes, I did ask God that question, but not in a lamenting kinda way, but more in a ‘I think You’re trying to get my attention, God and I’m listening now,’ kinda way.
“Are you telling me to slow-down God?”
No, that couldn’t be; I’m a lazier than a snail prozac. Surely God wants me to be more active.
“Do You not wanting me playing softball?”
Couldn’t be that either. I don’t believe God wants me to stop having good Christian fellowship.
I figured it out later on – right after the orderly person took my pre-emergency-room-release blood pressure reading. It was off the wall (especially that stink’n bottom number). I told the on-duty doctor that I stopped taking my blood pressure medication because I had lost some weight, implying that I didn’t need it anymore. He gave me the look that seasoned physicians always give that say, “You’re an idiot.”
Long story short, I am back on my blood pressure medicine and for the time being and I am believing the Lord allowed my injury to occur in order that I would wind up before a responsible adult who would shame me into taking the very thing that might keep me from dying prematurely. For now, it (the God-thing) is the only thing that makes sense.
Related These articles may or may not be related (I didn’t read all of them):
- Packerland Softball Conference Championship Goes To Extra Innings (doorcountydailynews.com)
- Rajon Rondo’s Stint As A Jewish Softball Player In Kentucky [Video] (deadspin.com)
- Houston High School softball opening night (robertforto.wordpress.com)
- Newcomer Sweatt catalyst in powerful Carolina Forest softball lineup (myrtlebeachonline.com)
- St. James softball team rolls Berkeley, advances in district playoffs (myrtlebeachonline.com)
- Why I have “beingabehindtheplateumpirephobia” (jeremybjelland.wordpress.com)
- ‘Heat and Cheese’ pair fire up Mizzou softball crowd (kbiasportsextra.wordpress.com)
- Green guides CCU softball back to old heights (myrtlebeachonline.com)
- Theta Chi’s Softball Victory (thetachirochester.wordpress.com)
- AthleticScholarships.com Division I Softball Recruiting Guidelines Reveal Ideal Stats for High Level Recruits (prweb.com)