Jim Elliot, (October 8, 1927 – January 8, 1956) was an evangelical Christian who was one of five missionaries killed while participating in Operation Auca, an attempt to evangelize the Waodani people of Ecuador. He once said, “He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.”
Jim Elliot wound up being murdered by the very same people he was attempting to share the Gospel with. After his death, and the deaths of fellow missionaries, their wives returned to these jungles and continued the Lord’s mission. As a result, the tribesmen responsible for the murders received Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior.
When I read Jim’s quote today, the Holy Spirit moved me to consider time. The first thing that crossed my mind is the obvious — it is something we spend regardless if we desire to or not. Time is not a thing that can be hoarded, for it is constantly being taken away. Despite the world’s claims to the contrary, we cannot keep it or save one bit of it. As we reckon and reason with time, the most effective thing we can do with it is first recognize its true owner.
Is it my time, is it the boss’s, is it the spouse’s or the family’s, or is it all really just God’s time?
I believe it is this recognition that will ultimately determine the eternal worth of the time we inescapably spend. We’re going to give it whether we want to or not, so should we not capitulate wisely? Before it flies, can we not determine its direction and course? More accurately, should we not submit to the direction and course our Father wants it to go?
We should submit, and for at least two very good reasons: it pleases the Owner and He is taking notes. In light of how Jesus Christ spent His time on the cross, spending our time wisely is our reasonable service.
See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise, redeeming the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be unwise, but understand what the will of the Lord is. (Ephesians 5:15-17)
These articles may or may not be related:
- God’s Love and Truth: Breaking Barriers and Penetrating Hearts (imallbooked.com)
- Growing in Knowing the Lord (incontestable.org)
- Meeting a Hero (hollysoutherland.wordpress.com)
- To Hate Is To Love (jacobmsmith.wordpress.com)
- The Hand of God is not Limited to Building Leaders (blessedaaron08.wordpress.com)
- Magog connection to Boston Marathon bombers/Chechnyan region (lynleahz.com)
- The Hidden Giant, Masked in Quiet Strength (jacobmsmith.wordpress.com)
- When You Know Who You Are (afriendofjesus2013.com)
- Today we will be starting our Biblical Studies on the book of Romans, Not Ashamed of the Gospel (whatshotn.wordpress.com)
If you enjoyed the blog, I would be blessed if you liked it, left a comment, shared it with someone else, or subscribed to the blog. God bless you today!